- To improve the team’s performance by helping team members reduce their stress levels.
The “Understanding Stress” handout.
Flip chart and marker pens.
- The activity leader asks the rest of the team members to call out examples of typical causes of stress. Write the list up on a flip chart at the front to the room.
- After 15 minutes, the activity leader shows the rest of the team the handout. Check that everything was there. (Clearly some will be phrased differently.)
- One interesting activity is to now do a survey through a voting process. Give everyone three adhesive dots and on a flip chart or 20 sheets of A4 paper stuck to the wall ask team members to “vote” on the three causes of stress from which they suffer most.
- Discuss actions that can be taken to deal with each stressor starting from the most critical.
- Establish team rules for stress management behaviours.
- Look carefully at the work unit processes and the interpersonal behaviours as it is these that the team as a whole might be able to address collectively.
- Ask the team to suggest actions that the team can take to avoid the worst and strengthen the best examples.
NoteThe activity leader may like to read a book on stress management before the session.